Sunday 5 April 2020

What I’m doing now

Right now it is officially the first day of the school holidays. Usually for me this time is spent trying to relax after a stressful and busy term, flitting from one thing to another such as cleaning, tidying, cooking, trying to relax, mending , finishing projects as well as trying to engage my creative mind to producing something that I really want to develop.
So now I find I’m already there, this enforced time of isolation and staying home has meant I have slowed, my mind is clearing and open to new ideas.
So this is what I am working on now. I acquired all these white or off white squares from a friend @merodybuglar who was collecting fabrics to make a postage stamp quilt. She was given these whites so maybe she doesn’t want white in her piecing. So I’m randomly piecing by hand, eye balling the small maybe quarter inch seam. These are then tacked down using Jude Hill’ s method of treating seams to be flat. I have really held and touched gently each of these squares. Mostly about 2 inches square. Larger ones were hand stitched over paper , to make octagons. Smaller ones or random shapes went into the wee joining squares.


I am not sure where it’s going. I might dye these two pieces when stitched, together in a plant dye pot of avocado, eucalyptus or onion skin. I might hold on to them until I can get to an indigo pot to dip them in. I might embroider words or symbols on.
The brown heart is from some ecodyed  cotton , folded using origami technique and then cross stitched closed. Not meaning for it to go here but it does look good on the squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment