Wednesday, 21 September 2016

100 day project

I have been participating in a 100 day project with its founder from New Zealand , but participants from all over the world. My project is to ' unpack' the embroideries, doiley' s and stitcheries I have from my Grandmother, mother and Aunties as well as the many I can't resist purchasing from charity shops. A few given to me by friends. So I write a bit about the embroidery, think of how I could interpret it to include into my textile art . Cut up, embroider more, appliqué, sketch, join all together to make a background for further work.

Tuesday, 20 September 2016

Paper Angel

I made this angel out of half a Yen magazine. At Queensland Quilters meeting on Tuesday night. Pat gave a demonstration on how to make them. So I made one and gave to my artist friend Annamaria Mays when we went on an op shop hop yesterday.

All I had to buy was a styrofoam ball for the head. So when op shopping yesterday I found a bag of ten balls ,the right size. So is this a sign I need to make more!! Not sure as I don't like the repetition of making the same article. But I bought them and have a stack of magazines mainly old Frankie's.

Monday, 12 September 2016


On my sewing room floor at the moment. All recycled woollen fabrics cut from old coats from op shops. Starts with the Graham clan tartan and comes down under following the birds from Scotland, Ireland and England to Aeoteora and Australia. To the centre the red square as in a traditional log cabin , the centre ,the heart .

Saturday, 10 September 2016

30 days has September

This is the third month of my 30 day challenge. Again it will be on the pale green damask table napkin as the other two. So for September I am stitching stones, pebbles on to the white silk squares as the other two. Appliqué , needle turned. I have to speak to my quilt buddies to get enough greys. I want the pebbles in grey as that will echo the sketch colour of the 30 days in April and the black running stitch of June.

Saturday, 3 September 2016

Floral 9 patch

For the display for ATASDA Qld I needed to make another A4 size piece. The wool background was given to work on. I will do a running stitch around the patches and then couch down the black and white magic thread. Inspiration from Jude Hill. I enjoyed working on this one , just went with the idea, found the scraps of floral cottons and placed them in the grid . The 'sashing' was even but looks better with a bit of random slants. I have another piece of this deep rose pink wool suiting in the dye pot hoping to get some eucalyptus leaf prints on it and to alter the colour of the pink.