Friday 31 December 2021

Snails

 Remember when the garden used to have snails? As a child I would sit an watch them slowly oozing their way across a path or along a leaf. The silvery trail left behind and the squishy eyes that were sightless waving gently out front. When picked up they would retreat into their home. For my grandfather it was a different story as he waged war to keep them from his vegetable patch. Well it seems his side of the relationship with snails has won and my side can only reminisce. 

This snail is a sample, a prototype of what I envisage, a cloth snail with all the charm ,slowness and sightless moving. It’s for an upcoming group exhibition. 

I made this one from rust dyed poly cotton . I like the rust dye but maybe I should make his shell a different colour. I am not trying to produce something that looks exact , but something that gives the impression without reverting to the stuffed animal, cutesy toy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment