Saturday 17 October 2020

A little sketch

 This sketch was done from a very small and old photo of my sister and I when small girls living in New Zealand with our parents and younger brother.

I have been wanting to develop more stitched pictures after seeing many really inspiring ones in some of the online images from artists I follow. I decided to use this image. It is amazing how this brings back memories and even though I don’t recall the action , day or place I do know from family lore that we were showing the ducks our dollies. I am the smaller of the two and you can just make out the head of a doll that I am holding.

We are wearing beautiful warm hand knitted beanies , made by either our mother or grandmother, as both were avid knitters and we needed warm clothing in Wellington, NZ. We are wearing woolen coats and leather shoes , warm trousers possibly corduroy, as I recall a lot of corduroy as well as tartan, knits, vyella and flannelette. 

Ducks in duck ponds form another special tale in our family’s story. Once my sister and I were swinging on a chain between two posts on the edge of a duck pond when the chain broke and we went flying into the pond. My sister was mortified but I recall finding it highly amusing, possibly more so by her tears and stress . 
The first gift my Dad bought for my daughter, his first grandchild even before she was born was a small  ‘rubber’ ducky for her bath. I still have it in my bathroom now. 
Feeding ducks in ponds is for many, a highlight of childhood activities 


No comments:

Post a Comment