Monday 4 October 2021

Jacaranda month

 I have been collecting fallen parts of the Jacaranda tree on the footpath outside my house. October in Brisbane is definitely Jacaranda month. For the rest of the year I hardly even notice them as they lose leaves and the green foliage when they do have leaves is fairly fine and spindly. There is a painting in The Queensland Art Gallery of a beautiful scene around a wide spreading Jacaranda. I believed the staff scatter  the purple petals around its base on occasion. 

There is also the message for students that if you haven’t started studying by the time you see the first Jacaranda in bloom it is far too late for you. Especially true around UQ campus where jacarandas line the ring road along the river. 

So I have arranged the petals, seed pods, seeds and stems. Looking, looking planning to sketch, draw , paint, press , smudge into paper . 






No comments:

Post a Comment