Tuesday 10 August 2021

Placemaking

 Map of the place of my magical childhood . Tall pines , red toadstools, gloworms, hedgehogs . Living next to the wild forrest land that bordered the Botanical Gardens in Wellington New Zealand. 

Stitched on a beautiful soft linen handkerchief. The map I have drawn of the important places to a young girl are shown. The depth and breadth of my world at the time. From the Forrest , my home, school , church, fish and chip shop, the iconic red cable car and the wharves which we walked around as a family on Sunday afternoons as my Dad loved boats. 

I love the way my little world at the time looks like a pocket , a bag, life held safe in the upturned vessel, a concave container. The quote from Shakespeares St Crispan Day speech in his play Henry V, from the King to his men 

“from this day to the ending of the world, 

But we in it shall be remembered;

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers”.....


we five , we happy five...

I used some black embroidery thread as well as some hand dyed cotton Wildflowers by Caron in Sticks and Stones Dyelot. I had been saving this beautiful variegated thread , but for why? So using my good ‘stuff’. 




No comments:

Post a Comment