Thursday 14 May 2020

UFO

I have decided to complete a few of my many pieces just waiting for further inspiration, particular colour of fabric or thread to finish or courage to go the next step. I read somewhere that so often pieces of textile art get to an ‘ugly’ stage where being unresolved , not quite there or simply in many pieces and directions.  We have to work on through the ugly stage to the beauty beyond. I wonder if this is why so many works in progress become what is termed a UFO in the quilting world. The maker was just unable to work through this stage, it all became too much, too difficult or too much time neede to complete.  The bag I started years ago . The outer bag was stitched together and waiting for the wool embroidery to go on top.



I didn’t do the embroidery because I was overwhelmed with choosing colours from my small stash of wool yarns. What if I picked the wrong colour , what if they don’t work or go together, what if I couldn’t do the embroidery?  So this bag sat and waited until now. With the lockdown I am calm and my time is not spent rushing from one activity to another always planning projects, doing workshops, reading about other textile artists, buying fabrics and threads but never finding much time to actually DO.
So here it is the embroidery is finished and now I will start on the lining. This is from a book by Ségolaine Schweitzer called A Trip Around the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment