Tuesday 26 May 2020

Quarantine block

ABC radio in Brisbane is calling for blocks to depict a snapshot of time in quarantine. What made you happy? What gave you joy? Using bright bold fibre, yarn and thread create a 15 x15 cms square from any technique such as knitting, crochet, patchwork, felting, embroidery, appliqué, weaving, dyeing, spinning and lacemaking in bright, bold happy colours. These will all be assembled into a wall hanging.

My block, made from bright patchwork and quilting fabrics using an English paper pieced method is all made by hand. The birdbath and bird were embroidered with black DMC thread.

During my time in lock down I had time to do some of those at home tasks that had mounted up. This included clearing, cleaning and tidying out my home studio room. Tucked away in many boxes were these bright fabrics from years ago. They had reached the bottom of the pile as I very rarely work in such bright colours now. So it was good to dig them out and when I was alerted to this project they were near at hand. The image of the birdbath came into this quarantine time as I set up a birdbath in my back yard and actually had time during each day to sit, watch and feel the joy of the birds taking a bath or having a drink. Mostly Noisy Mynas but at times a Butcher Bird and Magpies certainly hung around.

No comments:

Post a Comment