Sunday 26 February 2023

Still going

 I can’t seem to focus on anything else but getting these scrap pieces made. Finding inspiration everywhere including books and Instagram. 





The last image here of a basket made by adding strips and small pieces to an upturned plastic cup. Then stitching in big visible stitching with 6 strands of embroidery thread. The thread was also not purchased new by me. From others destash or op shops.  This was inspired by Judith Scott a neuro diverse artist who wrapped items known and unknown with whatever threads she could source. She spent many years in an institution and her art may have been a response to that dreadful living environment. I relate to the wrapped and hidden . What lies within ? Is it being kept safe from others, protected so no one can get near , close ? I love hidden secret meanings and even though my basket is not hiding something it may be hiding perfection or removing the need for perfection, flaunting my need to be wonky , imperfect , and wabi sabiness of it. Removing the adherence to straight edges , neat edges. A sign of the hand of the maker.



No comments:

Post a Comment